Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I decided, since I`m not as upset at my Person as I first was, that I will change my blog title to something that doesn`t emphasize the negative aspect of our relationship.

We have had internet troubles and I wasn`t able to post this yesterday like I wanted to. But anyways, better late than never right? Just pretend that every time I say "today" I really mean "yesterday".

Today was the first day since last week that I was able to get outside and play. Saturday through Monday it was too wet and rainy to do any real playing. Today was a beautiful day. It was sunny, not too hot, not too cold. Just right. A perfect day to go to the dog park.

Now the last time we went to the dog park I was shy and mostly growled at any person (other than my Person and her family of course) who approached me. Today however, I found myself letting other people pet me. I`m not sure when the realization came to me that not all people were like the awful ones at the vet, but it did. Maybe it was being in the, almost forgotten, sunshine that put me in a good mood but I felt more relaxed around strangers than I ever have.

My Person was going to take pictures but forgot to buy batteries.

Just like last time Rico (a 65lb, one and a half year old, white Siberian Husky) and Precious (a 45lb, six month old, Black Lab) came along but unlike last time, my Person`s mom thought to bring her other dog Belle (a 65lb, nine year old, Golden Retriever). Belle ignored all the other dogs and went straight to their Persons, begging for attention. Precious, just as last time, played with the other dogs and seemed to have a really good time. Rico unfortunately caused trouble and embarrassed me.
Rico thinks its really fun to chase dogs smaller than him and nip them on their back end. It hasn`t occurred to him that dogs smaller than him may not find that form of playing as amusing and tend to be frightened by a huge wolfish looking dog barreling down on them. He chose two particular pitbulls, that were not full grown, to play this game with. They hated his game and were absolutely terrified of him. They, very quickly, tried ending the game by yelping and running as fast as they could away from Rico. Rico took that as an invitation to chase them more. They then, in turn, yelped louder bringing everyone's attention to the chase taking place. Rico was having so much fun that it completely shocked him when the people that belonged to the pits became very angry and accused Rico of being an overly aggressive, BAD (I hate the "B" word) dog. The people then turned on my Person`s mom and began to curse and yell at her to stop her dog from torturing all the other dogs. With all that going on I became frightened and hopped into my Person`s lap (she was sitting on a bench). My Person`s mom tried explaining to the people that Rico wasn`t being vicious towards their dogs, that he was just trying to play but it didn`t work. They took their dogs and, yelling and cursing the whole way, left the park. After they left, Rico went back to being his normal, playful self. While all this was going on, another dog was watching Rico`s behavior very closely. This dog that was watching was one of the biggest dogs I have ever seen. I heard his Person tell my Person that he weighed around 138lbs. He was a South African, something, something, Mastiff (I didn't catch the whole name). He must have thought he was the dog police or something because he would break up any altercation that arose. After the Rico incident he kept a close eye on Rico. Rico, of course not knowing this, ran up to the massive dog and wanted to play. The enormous dog took it upon himself to put Rico in his place (even though to me, Rico wasn`t doing anything wrong). In one swift motion, the colossal dog had Rico pinned down and started growling in his face. Rico screamed like a little girl and promptly submitted to the giant. The Mastiffs person came and pulled him off Rico. Rico, yelping all the way, ran to his Person`s open arms. Rico was shaking and crying for like, three or four minutes straight. My Person and her mom went over him, checking for any wounds that may be causing him to still be whining like a baby, but found none and realized that he wasn`t hurt, just terrified. I, when all this was happening, was once again scared and just wanted to be held. Rico eventually settled down and for the rest of our time at the park steered very clear of his dominator. The Mastiff appeared to be very happy with himself for teaching Rico a lesson. Rico seemed to be very embarrassed by the humbling experience and for the most part stayed very close to his mommy for the rest of the day.

On our first trip to the park, I stayed by my Person in the beginning but then went out and explored the park. This time, since I had already seen all of the park, I stayed by my Person the entire time we were there. I was comfortable with being at the park but I really enjoy spending time with my Person more than with dogs I`ve never met before. I was comfortable with being at the park but I really enjoy spending time with my Person more than with dogs I`ve never met before. My Person said its good for me and that she was very proud of me for letting strangers pet me. Precious and, I think, Rico absolutely love going to the dog park. I like the dog park but don`t think its something I want to do on a weekly basis (which I think we are going to start doing).

18 comments:

  1. That sounds scary and so like something I would do (wanting to play with any and all personalities.) I hope that you don't have bad nightmares from your day at the dog park.

    Pee. Ess. Sounds like the C.P.B.O. (Cursing Pit Bull Owners) are somebody that needed chased away anyway. Nothing against Pit Bulls, just their cursing owners. So Atta Boy, Rico.

    Woofs and scary slobbers!
    Chester

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be brave!

    Wags,
    Daphne and Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rico sounds a bit scary to me...
    Big licks to you
    Suzuki
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aly!
    I thought I would stop by to let you know that if you are lookin' fur love you should stop by my blog as my brother Scooby has started a new "business". Come by and check it out.
    Big licks to you
    Suzuki
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the blog world, Aly! It is nice to meet new friends. We found you from Mason Dixie's site!

    Wuv,
    Gus and Waldo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not too sure about coming to the US now. It sounds a bit too scarey for me. Thankfully all the dogs round by me are really nice and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aly, You are a very pretty GSD and a brave girl, too! I hope to learn more about GSDs because I think they would make good friends. Hopefully, your next trip will be a better outcome. Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aly!
    I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately but my Mum and my brother Scooby have been hogging the laptop fur his new business and blog http://lookinfurlovewithscooby.blogspot.com/ He is still looking fur pups to follow his blog (even if they are not single) to help spread the word about these pups Lookin' Fur Love.
    So now I am spending today stopping by ALL my friends blogs and saying Hi :) and catching up on all your news.
    Big licks to you
    Suzuki
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aly...you've been mighty quiet lately...I hope everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Aly

    I found your blog via Daphne and Pruetts competition ( I voted for your pic because I thought it was so good ).

    I am cross GSD and husky. So I don't really look like you. Well, maybe a bit, but much whiter.

    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Aly - nice to meet you!

    Yay for you at the park! I only got to the doggy rubbing park to meet other peoples - I love pats and rubs!! You will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Aly,

    what bad owners them poor little pit bulls have. Sure, one can be concerned but swearing and cursing. They ought to be sent to obedience school ...

    I suppose it's a good thing too Rico finally got put in place by the mastiff. Sometimes a little telling off (without any harm to skin or blood drawn) is good for them doggies. It sure makes 'em behave!

    Licks and wags

    Tuffy and the Dog WOods Pack

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell your silly person to buy some batteries! Sheesh. Rico sounds very dramatic, just like a typical Siberian Husky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometime you should visit my blog and hunt for the post I wrote about my LAST visit to the doggie park, and I DO mean my LAST!

    A pit bull stole my brand new soccer ball!!!

    Now, I just go to people parks!!

    More butt rubs, and no ball stealers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good for you --- I only go to the dog park because I can get hundreds of peoples to rub my butt, and they all do it in their own special ways!

    I don't care about meeting other dogs.

    Does this mean it is all about MEEEEE??

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete